ADOPTING A PET
When you adopt a pet from the Delaware SPCA, not only will you find a friend for life, but you will help a needy or unwanted animal who needs a new home.
There is nothing “wrong” with shelter pets who find themselves dumped at shelters due to no fault of their own. Moving, allergies and “unable to care for” are the most common reasons people choose to surrender their pets. Others simply come from accidental litters. Whatever their story, shelter animals are loving pets that want nothing more than a home of their own and a family to love them.
The first step in finding your new best friend is to visit our adoption centers at our Stanton and Georgetown shelter and let our staff help find the perfect pet for you. Adopting a pet is a lifelong commitment, so finding the right match is very important.
The Adoption Process:
- Fill out an Adoption Application. You can print out and complete the application in advance to save time. Please bring it with you.
- Visit with the dogs and cats in our adoption areas.
- If you find a pet that you are interested in adopting, our customer service staff will be happy to assist you.
- We will then review with you your Adoption Application and make sure the situation is best for the animal and you.
- If you are adopting a dog, and have other dogs in your home, we will ask you to do a meet and greet at the shelter before taking the animal home. Proof of rabies vaccinations are required on current pets.
- Renters will be asked to provide landlord permission stating that pets are permitted. This letter should include the name and telephone number of landlord, and breed and weight restrictions, if any.
- The primary caregiver must be present and children age 10 and under that live in the home must meet the pet prior to adoption.
- Once the adoption has been approved, you pay the adoption fee and take your new friend home.
- We reserve the right to deny an adoption if we feel it is not in the animal’s best interest.
- We may perform home checks for some animals.
*Please Note – Adoption showings end ½ hour prior to closing*
Dogs 6 months and older: $100
Dogs under 6 months : $150 and up
Cats 6 months and older: $50
Kittens under 6 months: $75 each or 2 for $80
We accept Visa, Mastercard, Discover, Cash and Checks. We cannot accept American Express.
Our Fees Include:
- Up to date Canine DHPP and Bordetella vaccinations and feline DRTC vaccinations
- Rabies vaccination
- Feline leukemia/ FIV test
- Heartworm test
- Free veterinary wellness exam at participating animal hospitals