When you adopt a pet, you save lives.
Our adoption process is designed to help you find the perfect match in a pet. We’ll work with you to ensure that this new lifelong commitment starts off smoothly with a successful transition – for both of you!
Whether you are looking for a jogging partner, a cuddle buddy, or a playmate, our matchmaking adoption process was created to find a companion that complements your lifestyle. When searching for a pet, consider what your lifestyle, activity level, and home environment is like and look for an animal that is suitable for you.
The Adoption Process
Finding your new best friend is easy:
- Step 1. View our pets and complete an adoption questionnaire! This can be done right here on our website or in person at our shelter. We are currently doing adoptions by appointment only. Once your application is submitted, we will contact you in 1 to 3 business days to schedule an appointment to meet. We might suggest a different animal if there seems like a better match out there for you.
- Step 2. When you visit the shelter, be sure to bring your driver’s license or a state-issued ID with your current address showing you are at least 18-years-old, as well as one proof of address (piece of mail or bill matching your ID). If you own your home, we’ll verify ownership with the county. If you rent, we’ll need a copy of your lease to confirm pets are allowed. All names listed on the deed or lease must authorize the adoption. If applicable, we may request veterinary records for current or previous pets.
- Step 3. Meet & Greet! We strongly prefer all members of your household to be present at the meet-and-greet. At a minimum, we require the primary caregiver and any children under 10-years-old to meet the animal. If you’re adopting a dog and have other dogs in your home, they’ll also need to come in for a meet-and-greet, supervised by one of our animal care specialists. You must show proof that your current dog is up-to-date on their Rabies vaccine before they can meet our dog.
- Step 4. Once the adoption has been approved, you pay the adoption fee and take your new friend home for a lifetime of love!
Please Note – Adoption showings end about ½ hour prior to closing. We reserve the right to request a home visit or deny any adoption if we believe it is in the best interest of the animal.
With your adoption fee, you get a lot for free!
Every animal adopted from Delaware SPCA has received the following:
- Spay or neuter surgery
- Comprehensive wellness exam
- Age-appropriate vaccinations
- Microchip for lifelong identification
- De-worming and flea preventative
- Heartworm test and preventative for dogs
- Voucher for a free follow-up wellness exam at area VCA hospitals post-adoption
- Puppy (Up to 6 mos.)$450
- Puppy (6 mos. to 1 year)$250
- Adult (1 to 8 years)$200
- Adult Pit Bull (1 year or older)$150
- Senior (8 years or older)$100
- Kitten (Up to 1 year)$75
- Two Kittens$95
- Adult (1 year or older)$50
- Two Adults$60
- Senior (8 years or older)$25
Adoption prices may vary for highly desirable dogs, including specialty or unique breeds and dogs under 25 lbs.
Additional Pet resources:
How much does it really cost to own a pet? Find out with the Pet Ownership Costs Guide for 2020.