We need your help!
Our volunteers are an essential part of what we do at Delaware SPCA. Whether you’re walking dogs, scooping litter boxes, answering phones or assisting with laundry, each task you do directly helps us to save animals’ lives and find their forever homes.
See below for our current opportunities, and how to get started.
**VOLUNTEER REGISTRATION IS CURRENTLY CLOSED – PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER!**
We are busy working through our current volunteer applicants and will re-open registration as soon as we are able to. Thank you so much for your interest! In the meantime, check out our FOSTER and DOGGY DAY OUT opportunities.
- The first step for becoming a volunteer at the Delaware SPCA is to register on our volunteer website. You will be prompted to create an account, sign our Volunteer Handbook Acknowledgement and Liability & Release Waiver. Please note that these must be completed before you can be scheduled for orientation and training.
- Once registered, your application will be reviewed by our staff (please allow up to 2-3 weeks). We will then reach out to schedule your orientation session! Note that there is a chance we will not have volunteer vacancies when you apply; if that is the case, we will communicate that to you, keep your application on file, and contact you when we have an opening.
- Orientation consists of a tour of our facility, an overview of what volunteer opportunities are available, as well as hands-on work! After completion of orientation and training, you will be able to sign up for your first volunteer shift!
- If you have any questions about the process, please email our Volunteer Coordinator at email@example.com.
Current Shelter Opportunities
(Must be at least 18 years old)
Ready for wags and walks? Our dogs certainly are! Dog Team activities include walking dogs, socializing with dogs, cleaning kennels and kennel areas, making enrichment items, washing dishes, laundry, and more.
Shifts available daily, 10am – 4pm (6pm, Tuesdays)
We are at capacity for cat volunteers at this time, but you can still help by fostering during kitten season! During the months of April through October, we see an influx of kittens being born outside and surrendered to our shelter, and we will need plenty of fosters for both adult cats and young kittens. Keeping them in foster homes during this time keeps them safe, healthy, and socialized for adoption!
Veterinary care is an essential part of keeping our animals happy and healthy. Clinic team activities include assembling e-collars for surgery patients, unpacking and storing supplies, cleaning surgery kennels and surgery areas, and other tasks! No medical experience necessary, but medical interest preferred.
Shifts available Wednesdays 3pm-5pm & Thursdays 12pm-2pm
Currently closed to new volunteers. Please check back!
Front Desk Team
Our reception area can be a bustling place that sees happy animals go home, helps the community and keeps our operations running smoothly! Front desk activities includes answering phone calls, assisting clients, managing our voicemail lists, and helping people with donations, general questions, food pantry distribution, and more.
Shifts available Tuesdays – Saturdays, 10am-4pm (7pm, Tuesdays)
Current Youth & Group Opportunities
- Donation Drives
- Food Pantry Donations
- Delaware SPCA offers a community pet food pantry to help those experiencing financial hardship. This food pantry relies on donations from individuals, groups, or businesses, and new/unopened dog and cat food of any kind may be dropped off at our Stanton/Christiana shelter during our business hours.
- Hold a coin drive or school fundraiser
- Organize a coin drive in your school, community, or organization for people to contribute their loose change! You may also direct people to give online at delspca.org/donate. Monetary donations are critical to our lifesaving operations and always appreciated!
- Baking treats for our dogs/making toys for our cats
- Other Ideas
- Organize a yard sale, dog treat or bake sale, a read-a-thon (ask people to donate money for each page or book you and your friends read), or many other ideas! Get creative!
- Group Volunteers
- Delaware SPCA is always looking for groups to participate in volunteer projects! Group volunteering opportunities need to be scheduled in advance, and we may not have projects available all the time. If there are no group projects available when you inquire, please consider participating in some of the opportunities listed above until we have a project for your group.